History of Bicester Vets
The practice was founded by William John Carless (1896-1978), a graduate from the Royal Veterinary College in 1921.
After brief spells in Worcester and Hatfield, Carless came to Wendlebury, Bicester in 1927. He was joined around 1928 by Joseph Glyne Salt (1901-1959), who had graduated from Liverpool in 1926, and the practice traded as Carless and Salt.
Mr Salt died in 1959 and a new partnership was formed between Mr Carless and Mr Niven in 1960 which lasted until 1962.
The practice was then sold to William Morrison Milne. In 1975 a new partnership was formed between Mr Milne, Mr Dias do Nascimento and Mr Peter Ferens. Diaz left in 1978 and the practice then traded as Milne & Ferens until 1981.
In 1981, Peter Ferens purchased the premises on Victoria Road and traded solely for three months, before entering into a partnership with Mr James (Jim) R Cumming. Miss Fiona Cornish joined the partnership in 1993 and the practice then traded as Ferens, Cumming and Cornish until 2000 and Mr Jason P Williams joined the partnership.
It was in 2000 that the practice assumed the name Bicester Veterinary Centre, which coincided with major building works to upgrade and modernise the premises. Jim Cumming retired from the practice in 2003 and Peter retired in March 2007. With the increasing specialisation of veterinary practice, it was decided to stop dealing with horses in 2006 and then to cease farm work in 2007.
Over a period of 80 years, Bicester Vets has changed significantly from a farm based practice doing some small animal work to a modern, highly specialised small animal practice offering exceptional facilities and care for our clients and their pets.