We can now offer the option of “Keyhole” or Laparoscopic Bitch Spays as well as the traditional open surgical technique.
Vets have advocated routine spaying of bitches for years to prevent unwanted pregnancies, remove the inconvenience of “seasons” and false pregnancy and also to reduce the risk of mammary tumours.
The new operation involves making 3 small holes instead of one larger one and as a result dogs can be more comfortable, recover faster and can return to exercise within a few days.
Here are the details:
Which bitches can have this new technique?
Currently we are only offering this to bitches who are:
* 15kg or more in body weight AND
* 5yrs or younger.
What are the benefits of this procedure to owners and their pets?
* Less painful after the operation
* Smaller wounds to heal
* Quicker recovery from surgery
* Quicker return to normal exercise
What is involved in the procedure?
The operation is done under general anaesthetic, then 3 small holes are made in the midline of the abdomen: 2x 5mm holes and 1x 10mm hole – for comparison a standard open bitch spay hole might be 3-5cm or sometimes bigger for larger dogs.
The holes allow us to insert:
* Videoscope (camera) – to be able to look around the abdomen
* Instruments to grasp the ovary
* Vessel sealer – which is used to cauterise the ovarian attachments and cut them away.
The ovaries are removed and the tiny wounds are closed with internal dissolving stitches meaning that Lampshade “Buster” collars are usually unnecessary.
How do I care for my dog after the procedure?
She will go home the same day and will need to take it easy for a few days. Most bitches will be fine to resume normal leash walks after 3-5 days. There will be some painkilling medication to take initially and we’ll do a routine recheck after 10 days.
What is the cost of the new procedure?
This is a very modern, highly skilled technique using expensive equipment so naturally the price is higher than a standard spay.
Currently it is £120 more than the equivalent standard bitch spay. There’s good news for dogs on our Healthy Pets Plan as they will receive 10% off the total cost as per usual.
Special Offer – for the first 10 Keyhole Bitch Spays they will get intravenous fluids included free of charge – a saving of £60 off the normal price (£45 for HPets)
Laparoscopic Bitch Spays – some facts
* Only the ovaries are removed – we are able to do this routinely for standard bitch spays also.
* For now, we are only offering this to medium and larger bitches ie. 15kg or greater. This is related to the size of the instruments we use.
* Not always appropriate for older bitches where the uterus may be diseased already – so we will only offer this technique to bitches 5 yrs and younger.
* Post op care – 3 small wounds with internal stitches and wound glue
– Restricted exercise for 3-5 days, then normal leash walks can resume (but no running around off leash until after the 10 day nurse check-up)
– No buster collar will be provided as the wounds are so small.
* This procedure may not be appropriate if your bitch is overweight
Give us a call if you’d like to discuss the procedure for your dog
From Monday 22nd June, clients can enter the building for these specific purposes:
Jason Williams has recently done an interview with Bicester based voice-over specialist & podcast producer Mark Ryes
We are also pleased to say that routine dentistry and neutering have also been restarted including keyhole bitch spays